Saturday 6 December 2014

Warlord Games Panzer IV Review PT 1

A few weeks ago I posted a review of Rubicons Panzer IV, and promised to review Warlords once it was released. Well it has been, and I have one that I've built as an Ausf F2. I was going to compare it for sizes with Rubicons and Die Waffenkammers kits today, but I'll save that for next time.
The kit is moulded in dark grey hard plastic, with crisp detail throughout. Particularly noteworthy is the commander figure who wears an M43 field cap, and will look great peeking out of any Mid to Late War German armour. My tank being early, the boss got boxed for the time being.

You have the options to build the tank as either a short barrelled Ausf F, a long Barrelled F2 an ausf G with L48 gun and finally an Ausf H with Schurzen. I'll look at the Ausf F and H variants in a later article, but each has great detail. 

Kit was a great fit and simple to assemble, with the instructions being clear and parts marked for each version. I found the fit of the hull front left a few small gaps, and I'd have liked to see the later 1 piece hatch for the Ausf H variant, but other than that it was great.  The suspension unit comes in 5 parts, with wheels and hull side as one piece, to which you attach the 2 piece track units and outer face of the drive sprocket and rear idler wheel.
Model was painted using my Iwata Eclipses, using Vallejo Dark Sea Green for the grey colour and weathered using artists oils for the shading, and both GW Agrellan Earth and Vallejo Dark Earth textured paint for the mud effects.

 The kit scales perfectly with other Panzer IV's on the market, and also looks good next to Warlords's 28mm figures. Personally I'm starting to really like plastic kits for my wargaming vehicles as they take me back to being a kid and buying Matchbox 1/76 scales kits with my pocket money!

More to come! As ever, check out out Volley Fire Painting Services for more examples of my work. Til the next time!




2 comments:

  1. I like plastic tanks. They are far more robust than the resin or, God help us, metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, they require far less in the way of potions and rituals to get paint to stick as well!

      Delete