Thursday 15 January 2015

Warlord Games 28mm Cromwell Review

I'm back and finally recovered from the plague! 
Appologies for the long gap between posts, however I'm back with two today that should have been up before the new year...




First up we have Warlord Games 1/56 Cromwell Tank. This came out a little while ago, but Warlord were kind enough to provide one for me to review. The kit comes on two sprues enclosed in a celophane bag and has detailed instructions and also a fantastic transfer sheet. I would have included pics of this however I forgot to take pics before cutting it up for my tank. The sheet includes stars, squadron markings, weight markings, and markings for the Guards Armoured Division, the Polish First armoured division and the 7th Armoured division, as well as a few others. 

The model is tooled by Italeri and features very impressive and crisp detail, with next to no flash. The tracks and suspension I particularly liked. 
Warlords Cromwell is a very quick and simple build, I think it took me less than 30 minutes to put together. I added arials from bead stringing wire. and then it was ready for paint. 

I sprayed the model with some Super Dec Grey Cellulose primer, then sprayed black into all the recesses and white onto all the high points of the armour to add some pre shading and highlighting. 




On top of this I then sprayed Vallejo Brown Violet mixed with some gloss varnish to create a fairly opaque glaze that allows the pre shading to show through. After allowing these layers to dry for a few hours I then sprayed some Vallejo Middlestone into the centre of most of the panels to add an extra level of depth to the paint scheme.  Once this had dried I sprayed the model with gloss varnish, applied the transfers and re glossed the model in preparation of weathering.



To weather the model I first applied some chipping using a bit of packaging foam dipped in Vallejo Gun Metal. To add depth to the tank I painted a wash of Burnt Umber artists oils into the recesses, removing any excess with a cotton bud. The dust was done using Games Workshop Agrellan Earth, and then the model was done! 







All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this kit, I don't currently collect a late war British Force, but when I do I can see myself getting several more of these, details great, fit is great, and it's full of character. 
As always you can see more of my work here at Volley Fire Painting Services and you can see the rest of Warlords range here at Warlord Games

No comments:

Post a Comment