Sunday 7 June 2015

Trenchworx FT17 and Rolls Royce armoured car review

Today I'm looking at a couple of vehicles I've recently built as part of a commission for my friend Rob.

Trenchworx are a new company (To me anyway), and started off producing 3D printed models, but are now moving to doing resin kits. Trenchwox have recently had a very successful kickstarter to expand the range with early WW2 (And pre-war) Russian and Japanese armour.



 Trenchworx also have some interesting items for other ranges, including a beautiful looking T-38 and German heavy howitzer. If your looking for something obscure this is a company to watch.

Rob sent me the FT17's fully assembled, however the Rolls Royce were for me to build, and they were incredibly easy to assemble. parts were impressively crisp, and detail very sharp.


















I don't know if it's included in all their kits, but the Rolls Royce armoured cars actually had magnets as well to hold the turret in place. The resin feels very much like an injection molded plastic as used by say Warlord or Rubicon, however it still needs to be bonded with superglue.Building both the rollers took maybe 10 minutes, including the time spent looking for a magnet I dropped, and drinking my coffee.






As the resin was quite shiny and an unknown resin to me, I decided to go all out with priming the models and used an ultrasonic bath and automotive primers for the armoured cars, however Rob had just done a normal clean up and prep for the FT-17's, and I didn't notice any difference to paint adhesion, the resin seems to really accept paint well even with its glossy, smooth texture.





For the camo pattern on the Rollers I used Russian Uniform with the disruptive green applied using Reflective green, with weathering carried out with artists oils.









The FT-17's I used the same green's, but also used a mixed light grey, and sand yellow for those vehicles that needed it. Mostly they were done using trial and error however! These were weathered with artists oils, and then some Mig pigments which were sealed with Mig pigment fixer. 









I'd thoroughly recommend these kits, and look forwards to what the future brings. Click this link to visit the Trenchworx website, and you can see more of my own work at Volley Fire Painting

If your in the United States, and more specifically Ohio, it's worth taking a look at the Bolt Action Ohio Facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/groups/308871755930203/?ref=bookmarks



No comments:

Post a Comment